Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Humuhumunukunukuapuaa

And if you know what that is, you're probably Hawaiian.

Anyhow--

Stumbled across this article a couple weeks ago (http://msnbc.msn.com/id/11069864/) about Hawaii's state fish (or lack thereof) and I actually remember the original vote that happened in 1985ish. No, I didn't live in Hawaii, but my boyfriend (yes, I had a boyfriend in the 5th grade, more on that another time), who was born in Hawaii brought the fish vote for a kind of "show and tell". Our class voted, (for the record we liked the Humuhumunukunukuapuaa) and Matt (the boyfriend) sent a letter to a Hawaiian paper including our results. Cool, yeah?

But who knew the Humuhumunukunukuapuaa had been ousted from it's throne as state fish? Apparently no one. The Humuhumunukunukuapuaa is still my pick, if only because it's an incredibly fun word to say. Kind of like 555,555 in German.

No comments: